Sunday, September 4, 2011

Currently reading...

The Privilege of Being a Woman by Alice von Hildebrand

I'm about halfway through it and so far it's not the most interesting or inspiring book I've read, but she does make some good points.  I appreciate these quotations:

"The world in which we now live is a world whose outlook is so distorted that we absolutize what is relative and relativize what is absolute."

"A woman's way to holiness is clearly to purify her God-given sensitivity and to direct it into the proper channels.  She should fight against maudlin tears and pray for holy tears - tears of love, of gratitude, of contrition."

"Instead of being offended when reminded of their weakness, supernaturally motivated women are grateful.  To be conscious of one's weakness and to trust in God's help is the way to authentic strength and victory. ... 'Thus does our Lord glorify His infinite power, by crushing Satan's head with what is by nature so weak.'"

This last bit of wisdom is timely, considering my recent ponderings over my own weaknesses.  I'll continue reading and may add more quotations along the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment