Saturday, January 28, 2012

Rich man's guilt (unpublished 8/15/11)

I am unworthy.  That's an established fact.

I do not deserve my current job, my income, or my leisure time.
I do not deserve perfect health, the talents I've been given, or the family into which I was born.
I especially do not deserve the unconditional love and mercy that I receive every day from Our Lord.

But I have been granted them all.

I'm struggling to understand why I was chosen to receive these graces.  I'm wondering about the poor man on the street who begs for each meal, the refugee who has known a lifetime of slavery, the father who works two jobs just to support his family and can never seem to get ahead.

Why was all of this given to me freely?  How is it possible that I am now the steward of a monthly salary and my sole duty is to lead college students to Christ?  In this very moment, I wish I could live by a vow of poverty.

No comments:

Post a Comment